Hemp fabric is a sustainable textile made of fibres of a very high-yielding crop in the cannabis sativa plant family. Historically used for industrial purposes, like rope and sails, hemp is known as one of the most versatile and durable natural fibers.
Hemp has 8x the tensile strength of other natural fibers making it the perfect choice for everyday use. Hemp fabric on it’s own has a tendency to be rough to the touch, so we designed our hemp denim fabric with a blend of hemp and certified organic cotton. You get the durability of hemp with the soft feel of cotton you’d expect from your kitchen towels and linens.
It’s important when buying sustainable fabrics to make sure the dyes and water used are managed properly to minimize the environmental impact. All of our textiles are made with EU approved dyes and controlled water management.
Benefits of Hemp Fabric:
- Naturally pest-resistant so can be grown pesticide-free
- Durable and long lasting
- 4x the durability of other natural fibers
- Sustainable and renewable, high-yield crop
- All-natural fiber
In addition to these benefits, our hemp denim fabric is machine washable and gets better over time. The more you use hemp fabric and wash it the more malleable and softer it will become. Our hemp denim is already blended with organic cotton so it will become even softer.
Hemp Fabric Products:
Designed with our unique hemp denim fabric, here are some of our favorite eco-friendly products.
- Kitchen Towels: Since this fabric only gets better with time, nothing gets more use in our kitchen than these towels. Absorbent, all-natural and stylish, these towels are always in reach in our home.
- Apron: Versatile and durable, our hemp denim apron is up for any task, whether it be in the garden or the kitchen.
- Baby Bib: Everyday wear and tear is what this hemp fabric is made for, and this baby bib is no exception.
- Travel Utensils with Pouch: For eating on the go or for your next camping adventure, this set of reusable bamboo utensils is kept safe in their hemp denim fabric pouch. And when the pouch gets dirty toss it in the washing machine.
- Straw Sleeve: Our newest addition to our hemp denim line is our reusable straw sleeve to keep your straw clean and safe wherever you go. Like the travel pouch, it is machine washable.
Hemp is truly another remarkable natural material. Another advantage of hemp is that its dense growth makes it a prime contributor to weed control and elimination. Hemp grows densely and therefore little sunlight allows for weed growth. Hemp is a high-yield crop, maturing in 120 days average, and producing significantly more fiber than flax or cotton in equivalent space. Flax grows once every six or seven years on the same land, while hemp can be grown every two or three years. Also, the entire plant can be used, from seed to foliage, for use in such diverse products as building materials, paper and foods.
Disclaimer: This article is originally published on https://www.bambuhome.com/